WHTA Auxiliary Releases Scholarship Packet Information
Friday, February 19, 2016
The WHTA Auxiliary has released their annual scholarship information. The Completed packet must be received or postmarked by July 15. Any incomplete packet will not be considered. Those who have received any Auxiliary scholarships in the past are ineligible to reapply. Please read over information below very carefully. For more information contact Patti Gray at 931-703-3422 or Beth Thomas at 931-580-6825.
Page 1 Checklist and personal information
Page 2 Scholarship application and special requirements
Page 3 Required resume form
Walking Horse Trainers’ Auxiliary Scholarship Application
The WHTA (Walking Horse Trainers’ Auxiliary) is a national non-profit organization dedicated to charitable organizations, such as the programs for handicapped riders, and the promotion of the Tennessee Walking Horse.
Each year the Auxiliary awards scholarships to any person involved with Tennessee Walking Horses that is furthering his/her education. Scholarships are based on need, merit, and Auxiliary members and/or their families.
The following check list includes required criteria for each of these scholarships:
- • Completed Resume (see sample resume in packet)
- • Rank in class and size
- • ACT or SAT scores
- • Official transcript
- • Two letters of recommendation: one from a teacher and one from community member or church leader – other than relatives
- • Essay about applicant’s contributions to the Walking Horse Industry (not family member’s contribution)
- • Financial needs (FASFA confirmation supplied by applicant)
- • Scholarships already awarded and amount given
Each application is professionally evaluated and scored by several qualified professional people.
Scholarship recipients are notified approximately by August 1st and awarded the last Friday night or Auxiliary Night of the Celebration.
You may reapply annually if you have not received any of the Auxiliary Scholarships. In other words, you may receive only one scholarship from the Auxiliary. Once you have been a recipient, you are no longer eligible.
Please send all information to one of the following:
Attention: Scholarship Committee
3151 231 Hwy. North
Shelbyville, Tn. 37160
Must be Received or Postmarked by July 15, 2016
Last Name________________ First ___________________DOB__________________
City, State, Zip Code _____________________________________________________
Telephone # _______________________ E-mail_______________________________
Address (if different)______________________________________________________
Please check one or all of the following you are applying for:
___ WHTA Auxiliary Scholarship (Applicant must have an immediate family member of the Auxiliary) Name of Auxiliary member:___________________
___ Needs Scholarship (Applying for financial assistance)
___ Merit Scholarship ( Applying for scholarship based on academics and honors)
SS # ______________________________
College applying for:
College Major and Minor________________________________________________________________
Expected Semester Expense:
Board_________________ TOTAL SEMESTER EXPENSE_________________
Occupation of father________________________ Annual Gross Income $_________________________
Occupation of mother_______________________ Annual Gross Income $________________________
Total number of children financially responsible for and ages___________________________________
Total number of siblings currently attending college in the physical year___________________________
Total monthly compensation, pension, trust, or any income received by parent and/or children $_________
The following are required.
1. One letter of recommendation from a teacher of applicant’s choice.
2. One letter of recommendation from a community member or church leader other than relatives.
3. Essay of not more than 750 typed words to include information regarding need for scholarship, experiences in employment, course of study, reason for career choice, and your involvement in the walking horse industry. Do not include your name, your parents’ names or family members’ names in this essay. The essay is evaluated for content as well as organization and correct use of the English language.
4. If applying for the Auxiliary scholarship, please include in your essay the Auxiliary member’s name, her years of membership, and her contribution(s).
5. Official current high school or college transcript must be sent.
6. FASFA confirmation
7. If you receive any scholarships after submitting this application to the Auxiliary, you will be responsible for notifying the Auxiliary. Please call Mrs. Patti Gray at 931-703-3422 or Beth Thomas at 931-580-6825.
SS # __________________________
High School or College Attending and Dates
Rank: ____ out of _____
ACT Score _____ and/or SAT Score ______
Dual Enrollment Courses:
Academic Honors/ Awards:
Industry Involvement (clubs, awards, activities)
*** This information must be typed.***